The art aspect of SOTE future.

For discussion on the most 'core' concepts and ideas for the first version of the SOTE project. This is for absolutely necessary mechanics and ideas that form the backbone of the game.
Jonnicon

The art aspect of SOTE future.

Post by Jonnicon » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:25 am

Feel like I open pandera box today... I researched about resolution and size for pixel canvas.
If SOTE is going to be completely pc based. The game will need to take into account the aspect ratio of pc monitors. I also need to know what art style the game needs to be. What type of resolution are we aiming for? (Pixel art normally has low res or high res) From the research I done this sort of stuff needs to be figured at the start of the project.

Also could not find any good information on how to do pixel art for strategy based games. That all the pixel art i did in 50x50 is really not good for pixel art games in general. So all of that needs to be redone as well.

In addition, what type of battle system is SOTE going to have? Going to be a seperate battle similar to total war games or battles on the map like eu4.

David Buunk

Re: The art aspect of SOTE future.

Post by David Buunk » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:47 am

You ask very good questions, my friend.
Jonnicon wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:25 am
If SOTE is going to be completely pc based.
There is a reason for it to be PC-based: the processing power needed for the simulation. If multi-player ends up being implemented in some version, I assume that a client for a tablet should be possible. But since I don't expect too much demand for that, expect that SotE will be PC-based for the foreseeable future.
Jonnicon wrote:
The game will need to take into account the aspect ratio of pc monitors.
Does it, though? The map is large and scrollable, the size and aspect ratio of the view-port doesn't really matter. Other interface-elements can be either centred (like pop-up messages), or put into a corner (like menus). The only thing to enforce is a minimum width and height, no need to take into account aspect ratio. What we might need to deal with is increasing the size of interface-elements for larger screen-sizes, but, again, this has nothing to do with aspect ratio.
Jonnicon wrote:
I also need to know what art style the game needs to be.
I'm going to leave this one for Demian.
Jonnicon wrote:
What type of resolution are we aiming for?
Computer monitor resolutions keep increasing. The information you find on the internet is a few years old, SotE will be released a few years in the future, and will be played for many more years. So go with the high-resolution, so that by the end of its life-cycle we have normal low-resolution, and not ridiculous low-resolution.
Jonnicon wrote:
Also could not find any good information on how to do pixel art for strategy based games.
I'm not certain how doing pixel art is different for different types of game (apart from what you're drawing, of course).
Jonnicon wrote:
In addition, what type of battle system is SOTE going to have?
That isn't decided yet.

In closing, I'd like to thank you for all the great artwork you have already made, and will certainly make more of in the future.
Programming SotE.

Chease

Re: The art aspect of SOTE future.

Post by Chease » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:10 am

Strategy games generaly don't work on consols. Maybe it would be possible to put in on tablets in the future but I belive it should not be a focus yet.
Scalability could be useful to have if the problem would arise in the future of the project, so having it in a 2^x range would be good.