Different Creatures and their attributes

This is for, what the discord lovingly calls, 'top hat beaver' content and ideas. Mechanics that will be used to flesh out the game over the absolute necessary mechanics of the core concepts. Eventually, as the development of the SOTE project continues, things in this forum may move to the 'Core Concepts' forums as things are completed and what were once future ideas become pressing and more important to develop
Chease

Different Creatures and their attributes

Post by Chease » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:24 pm

Hey,
I have been thinking about all the different possible Creatures and life forms that could be implemented into the game and what base characteristics they would have. For example orks being stronger and more agressive than for example humans.
The problem is that even orks vary in different stories, so I think that it would be good to define and discuss all the different kinds of Creatures that would be good to implement. It is also good to difine what they are naturaly good at, or for example what could inflence their choice of weapons (like Dwarfs probably being more drawn towards crossbows then bows because of their possible draw length). Also it would be usefull to deside who is sentient and who is more like an animal.
So I would like to use this as a place to talk about those possible ideas.

What i would like to see/ would find interesting:
Sentient: Orks, Elves, Dwarfs, Centaurs, Oger, Giants, Trolls
Nonsentient: Unicorns, Griffins
Edgecases: Minotaurs, Dragons
Don't know if fits: Medusa, Satyr, Harpys, Merfolk(Sea-Civs)

lastresort1

Re: Different Creatures and their attributes

Post by lastresort1 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:23 am

I would add in demon-kin and Dragon-kin races and have the traits be a weighted. Ex. Elves 90% chance to worship nature, 70% chance to be highly civilized, and 60% chance to be peacful

CowboyDeng

Post by CowboyDeng » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:14 pm

I disagree about the % chances to do things, I think it undermines how real nations developed in history. Sure the viking settlers in Kiev were innately more sea-faring-y and worshiped raiding war gods and such, but a couple of Generations of farming life in the Ukraine they quickly morphed their sea-raiding Viking culture into a more sedentary civilization. Similarly, whilst Elves might be better and more efficient at developing wooded areas, if a migrating group of Elves are driven to the mountains by a forest Dragon, those elves might create a mountain culture, with small but developed cities in the tops of the peaks, where those elves look down upon the world with disdain for the weaker races and the monsters of the woods. Basically creating a "high elf" culture from the bigger "elf" race. This is why, I believe, races should have traits which impact how they develop in the world rather than modifiers that affect how they interact in the world; which in turn imply their racial traits... - Merfolk should have underwater breathing and the ability to cultivate seaweed, rather than having a 200% more food underwater modifier and a propensity to start near the coast... that sort of thing

BushyRoxy

Post by BushyRoxy » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:30 pm

I would like to see a sentient forest that was inhabited by another sentient creature which made the creatures develop together in a realationship where the forest provides everything (e.g food, homes) for the creatures and in return they defend it and help it grow.

soy de river beaver

Post by soy de river beaver » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:21 am

I haven't been keeping up with the project last months, so although I risk being too late to this developing area, i want to propose 3 ''species charts'' wich could work at the same time. I am sorry for the english you will withness, both in words and sentences:

the most detailed with some unique traits of the species:

the most simple with slides to balance how the species act/react:

and one wich can apply to EVERY species, this could decide if its wild, civilized, underdeveloped, etc:

I made this with the intention of having all 3 of them working in the game, but each is quite diferent from the other so maybe 1 of the ideas works better.

soy de river beaver

Post by soy de river beaver » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:05 am

this does not take in count their politics, culture nor biome, wich could either influence or be influenced by the species traits/abilities/attributes