Land Warfare Mechanics discussion

This is for, what the discord lovingly calls, 'top hat beaver' content and ideas. Mechanics that will be used to flesh out the game over the absolute necessary mechanics of the core concepts. Eventually, as the development of the SOTE project continues, things in this forum may move to the 'Core Concepts' forums as things are completed and what were once future ideas become pressing and more important to develop
kukumarro

Re: Land Warfare Mechanics discussion

Post by kukumarro » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:22 pm

I apologize in advance, but when I read "the fundamental nature of X is..." I just had to do this xD

Socratic_discipline.png
Socratic_discipline.png (219.77 KiB) Viewed 973 times

Khardinal

Post by Khardinal » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:33 pm

About discipline, the first thing to consider is that your generals can just not at all listen to you. It's not just a question of soldiers.
If the "King" is leading the army, then, you have way more control over it, but you can also die in the battle.
But keeping the King safe in its capital mean that the general can do, a lot of shits. Or, being so good that after the win, he wants to take the throne.

gutza1

Post by gutza1 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:49 pm

I have a proposal on how pitched battles could actually work, inspired by D&D-style combat:

When a pitched battle starts, the game creates a 2D battle map divided into numerous tiles that contain units and terrain features. The battle then takes place on that map, as units manuever and attack enemy units. Each unit has various statistics, such as morale, discipline, organization, composition, etc., and can be led by a commander. Meelee units can only attack an enemy unit in an adjacent tile that they are directly facing, and finds it difficult to defend against a flanking enemy unit. A ranged unit has a 2D range shape (could be a circle or a cone) from which it can attack, and the amount of damage it deals to an enemy unit depends upon the percentage of the enemy unit within its radius. If the leader of the player's nation is commanding a unit, the player can give direct orders to that unit, but only that unit. However, a player could give orders to generals right before a battle takes place. This system could also be used to simulate assaulting a fortification, with the fortification comprising much of the map.

However, pitched battles are not the only type of combat. A leader or general could conduct guerrilla warfare by ordering their troops to scatter into the terrain and harass the enemy. The troops would essentially become a tile modifier that would inflict morale damage and casualties onto an invading army.

David Buunk

Post by David Buunk » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:05 pm

I feel a lot of people have their thoughts stuck in the EU4 army model.
Programming SotE.

lastresort1

Post by lastresort1 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:40 am

I like the Idea of have different troop strengths based on how well they are trained. I would recommend some type of way to handle reserves possible having laws like mandatory service, mandatory training, citizen army, professional army ect.