Procedural Animals

This is for, what the discord lovingly calls, 'top hat beaver' content and ideas. Mechanics that will be used to flesh out the game over the absolute necessary mechanics of the core concepts. Eventually, as the development of the SOTE project continues, things in this forum may move to the 'Core Concepts' forums as things are completed and what were once future ideas become pressing and more important to develop
Miles

Procedural Animals

Post by Miles » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:04 pm

Since the setting is a fantasy world it is not necessary to limit the animals to ones that exist in reality. I do not know enough about computers to know if this proposal would make development easier or more difficult but here is my idea.

Have a list of core attributes that all animals have a value in such as average mass, rate of reproduction, time to maturity, and preferred biome. After that have a list of qualities that can have a value from one to ten with each species of animal having two or three qualities such as rideability, wool production, milk production, combat usefulness, ability to live outside its preferred biome, and so on. And finally, a list of binary variables such as flight, predatory, edible, herd mentality, or amphibian.

This all might be going too detailed but it could have interesting effects such as one society lucking out and living in the preferred environment for insanely useful animals that, after domestication and development of supporting technology (like stirrups or chariots), allow them to conquer the world.

If this system were implemented a similar one could be used to generate new races.

As I have said I am not an expert and I won’t be offended if you decide against this Idea.

GamesvonJames

Re: Procedural Animals

Post by GamesvonJames » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:54 am

I really like the sound of this, but it all depends on the amount of calculations it would take up. Very interesting idea though.

Ionheart

Post by Ionheart » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:21 pm

I don't think it needs to be substantially more demanding on an engine than hardcoding each species (assuming other factors like detail of simulation are held constant).

demanding in terms of time to design and implement though is an entirely different story. although if the framework was robust enough you may gradually make up time through the reduction on new code needed to implement new species and related features in the future.

Demiansky

Post by Demiansky » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:36 pm

It's an interesting concept, but to some extent you need to have certain parts of the game "with their feet on the ground." Procedurally generating things like races and monster types from the ground up could create a situation where the geopolitics of the world looks like a giant mish mash. Like a scientific experiment, some variables need so be fixed while others need to be variable in order to have a coherent model. Part of what would be interesting, for instance, is to be able to see how familiar races (with familiar attributes) thrive or fail based on a world that IS variable, with variable ecology and variable ecology.

kukumarro

Post by kukumarro » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:20 pm

Sounds interesting. The question on domesticable animals is important for the development of civilizations. In the real world it had a lot of implications that African-Eurasian animals co-evolved with humans as they refined their hunting methods, allowing them to adapt and survive until the domestication processes started, while in America most big mammals went extinct during the first 1000 years since the arrival of the first humans. Domestic animals are extreme enhancers of transport, trade and food production, allowing civilizations to form earlier and faster in Eurasia than in America. This process should be represented in-game to same extent.

Demiansky

Post by Demiansky » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:42 am

Yeah, I agree on this point for sure.

lastresort1

Post by lastresort1 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:02 am

I like the Idea and would recommend setting a realistic % for each animal type instead of allowing it all to be randomly generated. This prevents their only being 5 prey races and 20 predator races .

soy de river beaver

Post by soy de river beaver » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:26 am

I think the same as you, i made a couple examples of it in the ''Different Creatures and their attributes'' topic.
I wished i opened this one first, there is so much more that could be added.
the not-so-important species are actually really important after all, it would be cool if some people are able to tame dragons and bring them to battles, or just milk cows.

David Buunk

Post by David Buunk » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:27 am

soy de river beaver wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:26 am
it would be cool if some people are able to tame dragons and bring them to battles, or just milk cows.
Dragons milking cows???
Programming SotE.

soy de river beaver

Post by soy de river beaver » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:06 pm

David Buunk wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:27 am
soy de river beaver wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:26 am
it would be cool if some people are able to tame dragons and bring them to battles, or just milk cows.
Dragons milking cows???
Cows milking dragons!!!