Provinces: Layer on Layer action!

For discussion on the most 'core' concepts and ideas for the first version of the SOTE project. This is for absolutely necessary mechanics and ideas that form the backbone of the game.
Demiansky

Re: Provinces: Layer on Layer action!

Post by Demiansky » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:06 pm

Strossi wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:23 pm
David Buunk wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:44 pm
Strossi wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:08 pm
Maybe these could be a parameters in the world generation =D.
This all sounds top-hat beaver to me. Getting a climate model and everything that follows right is difficult enough with earth as an example.
Ungrateful to say from the outside, but my opnion would be that astronomic factors would be simpler to implement than a dynamic geography based climate model?

The distance to the sun is pretty much a linear function in relation to temperature. Revolution around the sun is logarithmic function in regards to seasonal temperature amplitudes. Only the planetary axis tilt is complex with exponential effects on seasonal temperature variations.

Note, temperature is alpha and omega when it comes to climate and solar radiation is its n1 source for the planet (followed by geothermal by a long shot).
Well, the practical solution I think is to merely use these parameters while not actually simulating the distance of the world to its sun :-D

David Buunk

Re: Provinces: Layer on Layer action!

Post by David Buunk » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:12 am

There is a reason why I'm a bit against varying some of those astronomical parameters. Now it would be simple to implement, and we can balance it by setting the values to "earth", and seeing if it comes out right. But we should also consider the prior history of the planet, and the consequences of these parameters thereon. We would need to consider the consequences of more or less severe seasons on the prior climate and evolution of life on the planet. So we would either need to spend a lot of time on a complicated model that almost no-one would use, or we would have some broken solution wherein only the current but not prior effects are accounted for.
Programming SotE.