Population mechanics: what to model as a POP

For discussion on the most 'core' concepts and ideas for the first version of the SOTE project. This is for absolutely necessary mechanics and ideas that form the backbone of the game.
soy de river beaver

Re: Population mechanics: what to model as a POP

Post by soy de river beaver » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:29 am

David Buunk wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:39 pm
Jorlmund, it might be better to have those represented as characteristics of the particular species, rather than general concepts.
thats true, it would be better to have each speacies be able and unable to do certain stuff, some of wich limits their ability to develop their civilization

kingjerkera

Post by kingjerkera » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:10 pm

Well I don't know if it would help but I had an idea. You should track only certain creatures with numbers and then base those numbers the other creatures. In this way these significant creatures cut down on amounts of numbers needed to simulate a locales species and the changes in ecology. It also has the benefit of making a viable way for the player to try to get information. Meaning a ranger type unit would indicate that a region has this particular species of plant in x abundance therefore the ranger could say that the region should have x type of animal or plant species.

For example player wants to find out how many deer/elk/unicorns are in a particular area. Key indicator species like wolves, bushes, and tree species would then indicate how many there would be. Wolves being present would decrease or increase due to how many there are and the plant species would indicate how much feed would be in the area. I think there are more effective actual formulas in biology about that that would be of use in this endeavor.

As for what type of indicator species there should be is something I'm not exactly sure about but things that need to make the list are first priority is plant species, second priority insectoid species, third priority carnivore species, and lastly exotic species that have special use to Civ species. I hope this helps.

David Buunk

Post by David Buunk » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:37 pm

I understand your idea, and it isn't a bad one per se. However, one of the major points of SOTE is the emergent simulation. We want to simulate the ecology so that such effects of species on each other emerge from the simulation. The idea is not to just have many species/things, but to look at how they interact from first principles.
Programming SotE.

Demiansky

Post by Demiansky » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:56 pm

kingjerkera wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:10 pm
Well I don't know if it would help but I had an idea. You should track only certain creatures with numbers and then base those numbers the other creatures. In this way these significant creatures cut down on amounts of numbers needed to simulate a locales species and the changes in ecology. It also has the benefit of making a viable way for the player to try to get information. Meaning a ranger type unit would indicate that a region has this particular species of plant in x abundance therefore the ranger could say that the region should have x type of animal or plant species.

For example player wants to find out how many deer/elk/unicorns are in a particular area. Key indicator species like wolves, bushes, and tree species would then indicate how many there would be. Wolves being present would decrease or increase due to how many there are and the plant species would indicate how much feed would be in the area. I think there are more effective actual formulas in biology about that that would be of use in this endeavor.

As for what type of indicator species there should be is something I'm not exactly sure about but things that need to make the list are first priority is plant species, second priority insectoid species, third priority carnivore species, and lastly exotic species that have special use to Civ species. I hope this helps.
Yeah, so I think getting too far into the species richness and individual species diversity of an ecosystem gets too far into the weeds of what we're trying to do with the game and would soak up a lot of memory. Because we are going to be aiming for a true Earth sized world (which would strain most modern computers anyway), relevant data ultimately comes down to what influences the expansion or contraction of an ecosystem, as well as how it influences civilization. I do think the idea of rangers giving you a perspective as to the nature of a given ecosystem, but there's no reason why the rangers would give you bioindicators or keystone species information without also explaining to you "oh, and by the way, that means that these bigger predators are there as well, which is the thing you want to know about anyway."