Tile shape, maybe plusses?

For discussion on the most 'core' concepts and ideas for the first version of the SOTE project. This is for absolutely necessary mechanics and ideas that form the backbone of the game.
David Buunk

Tile shape, maybe plusses?

Post by David Buunk » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:24 am

So here is the argument between squares, and hexes, summed up:

For squares the concept of neighbour is ambiguous. Does it have 4, does it have 8? Hexes don't have this problem. Neither option feels satisfactory.

Finding the neighbours is a little simpler for squares than for hexes, but the difference is minimal.

Finding longer distances/shortest path will be rather complex anyway, as you'll need to take into account map projection, terrain difficulty, roads and navigable rivers. So the difference between squares and hexes won't matter all that much.

So what is the problem with hexes? Graphics! Hexes are made up of triangles, which can be made up of smaller triangles in a regular fashion. Graphical displays, on the other hand, use squares. So using hexes creates a sort of "putting a square peg into a triangular hole" problem. You have a sprite of a hex. The parts of the sprite that don't belong in the hex are transparent. Now you can just add all the sprites together, slightly overlapping, but the transparency assures that every pixel comes from one well-defined tile. So far, so good. But now we want to zoom out a little. We scale all our tile sprites, and boom, the edges are all fuzzy. Also, since the width and height of a hex aren't equal, or have neat ratio, and you start adding them in at whole coords, you'll end up with small gaps or overlaps between tiles.

Now you say: we just assume this is so minor that nobody will notice, or try to fix it in code. (Must be possible, lots of games use hexes.) But I had a different, crazy idea that I wish to share.

Big plusses, looking a bit like:
O X X O
X X X X
X X X X
O X X O
Where X is part of the tile, and O is transparent. This is something made out of squares (easy graphics) that behaves pretty much as a hex on the larger level. It has 6 neighbours, and while the distances aren't exactly equal, they are near enough. (3.6 vs 4). Coordinate system and algorithms for hexes apply. Best of both worlds?

Now, I didn't take aesthetics into account. And maybe I forgot arguments for either side, if so, please make me aware of them.

Programming SotE.

pełpeł

Re: Tile shape, maybe plusses?

Post by pełpeł » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:31 am

I'd go with classic squares. I liked uniqueness of plus shape until I tried to imagine straight line. I think that for simplicity sake squares are best :)

Demiansky

Post by Demiansky » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:01 pm

Yeah Pelpel, I'm inclined to agree. Plus it causes a lot of problems with edge effects, because when the crosses lock together in a grid they don't have uniform perimeters with their neighboring crosses. In general its a lot of confusion. It may just be that squares are the best way to go with the first iteration of the game. It's what people are most used to, the geometry and coordinates are super simple when you are procedurally generating the map.

xelada

Post by xelada » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:23 pm

I'm a little surprised nobody mentioned an offset square grid
You have the graphical ease of squares, with the visual and mathematical/geometric simplicity of a hex grid, without having to try to re-invent the wheel.
I'll be honest, the cross idea seems to just have the problems of both with few of the advantages.

As for my 2-cents on square v hex (which include offset square and the cross implementation both as hex) I personally prefer hex based. When using square based there will always be questions about diagonals: and this applies on every level, for movement comes the question of it's move cost (is it 1 or 2 or 1.5 or even 1.4); if there are going to be visible boundaries it will matter graphically; distance formulae need to be pinned down (do we use Pythagorean distance, or Manhattan distance) and you have to make sure everyone and everything uses the same system, assuming all mechanics can use the same maths; plus whichever way of doing it use will cause mathematical weirdness, or at least more egregious examples than hex based.

David Buunk

Post by David Buunk » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:30 pm

Xelada, thank you for your suggestion. I should have though of that. When it comes to implementation it is pretty much equivalent to the plus idea, except that the final version of the plus also has equal perimeter with each neighbour, as well as almost equal distances between tile centres to neighbouring tile centres.

Also, we'll be using Pythagorean distance, as we will want it to be accurate above all.

For everybody, this was discussed in the stream, and this is my summary thereof:
We discussed the various tile shapes.
A straw-poll was held beforehand: http://www.strawpoll.me/13675052/r (Demian and I didn't vote)
The main problem with squares was considered army/pop/trade movement.
But since pop/trade travels on its own, it can move partial tiles with ease.
So it isn't really bound to the tile grid.
And we decided that armies would end up with a different model altogether.
Where it is more spread out, and not in one specific place that the player can move tile by tile.
More details to be decided later.
With the larger part of the problems with the squares out of the way, we decided to go square, and re-evaluate after version 1.
Then Demian went to check on the girls.
While he was away, I asked the chat for questions they had.
Then we had 20 minutes of QA session.
But there isn't really anything new said there.
(And 5 people of 18 found my plusses confusing :cry: )
Programming SotE.

xelada

Post by xelada » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:31 am

I'm not so sure about the stated advantages of the plus shape, I'm not sure what you mean by equal perimeter with each neighbour: two sides have two thirds the shared perimeter of the other four (offset square is kinda the other way round with two sides having twice the shared perimeter) and as for the more consistent distance, we are talking 10% shorter (cross) vs. 12% longer (offset) which isn't a huge difference (well it is, 22% difference is significant but in terms of which is more precise it isn't much).

Hmm... after considering it I have to admit that your cross idea is a much better idea than I first gave it credit for. I still like the fact that offset squares doesn't require transparency or sub-dividing, but your way certainly has it's merits, not least of which being mathematically more precise.

Also upon further consideration standard square grids do have the advantage of... I'm not sure if there is a name for it, I sometimes call it "super-tessellating" where you can make a shape entirely from that same shape (random fact: triangles and parallelograms are the only 2D shapes that have this property). Plus there is nothing that says you can't use a standard square grid for the smaller levels, then use another system for the higher levels.

David Buunk

Post by David Buunk » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:45 pm

Oh, right, I forgot to upload the final plus shape to here as well. Image

But anyway, this discussion is moot for now, as we've (for better or worse) settled on squares.
Programming SotE.

lastresort1

Post by lastresort1 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:57 am

To keep the plus Idea you could have wilderness change spread in a plus pattern.

David Buunk

Post by David Buunk » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:14 pm

You don't understand. The spread of wilderness is determined by the local circumstances, and the workings of ecology, not the will of the makers of SotE.
Programming SotE.

lastresort1

Post by lastresort1 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:12 am

The wilderness could only spread to tiles that border it correct. If that is true and we are using square tiles the you can not spread to diagonals beacuse they do not border the square with wilderness forming a plus pattern.