Quick Questions

Ask any question and speak whatever is on your mind about the Noob Game Developer!
nicccky

Quick Questions

Post by nicccky » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:31 am

Figured I'd make a thread for yes/no questions or short replies. I actually have a question for NGD/Demian: what will the scope of this game be? You've said it will start in the Neolithic era with hunter-gatherer bands, but when do you plan for it to end? When we have the proper level of technology, will be be able to create world-spanning empires like OTL's French, Spanish, British, or Russian? Will we even be able to go into space?

CowboyDeng

Re: Quick Questions

Post by CowboyDeng » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:06 am

nicccky wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:31 am
What will the scope of this game be? You've said it will start in the Neolithic era with hunter-gatherer bands, but when do you plan for it to end? When we have the proper level of technology, will be be able to create world-spanning empires like OTL's French, Spanish, British, or Russian? Will we even be able to go into space?
The idea is that the game world continues endlessly, whether your civilisation can go from the neolithic to space age is up to the player (although it will be VERY unlikely due to decay mechanics - are there any current neolithic empires in existence right now? Maybe Egypt if u really skew the question).
However, because of the dev process in itself, it is likely mechanics will be added through the ages, neolithic mechanics first, then bronze age mechanics, then medieval, etc. So whilst 'modern' simulation is on the table, it will likely come in very late in the dev cycle. Additionally, you must remember that this game is also somewhat fantasy (albeit the player can turn off magic) but in fantasy world, why go to the moon? I mean I can already explore the depths of hell with my plane shift spells :D