SOTE Development Diary and Updates

The place to go in order to learn about (and discuss!) the core features of SOTE.
Demiansky

SOTE Development Diary and Updates

Post by Demiansky » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:15 pm

Hello, and welcome to the Songs of the Eons Dev Diary thread! Here we will be giving updates on the status of the game, what we happened to be working on, and how you can be a part of it. We will mention here what we have achieved recently and solicit perspectives on those specific items as we work on them! You can follow my own active development on SOTE here: https://www.liveedu.tv/noob_game_developer/projects/

Most recent general update on SOTE: https://youtu.be/vWx_lZeiDUQ

Down below on this post you'll see what we've finished so far and what we are actively working on!

Current Posture: Still a beginner, but no longer overwhelmed. I feel like I make meaningful progress each time I sit down to work.
We're making progress on the game, but we are as much "learning the ropes." Once we've honed the skills we need, we'll move even faster. I'm personally learning Unity, C#, and testing core concepts of SOTE. I'll probably be in this frame of mind for the next few months, but I'm still happy with the steady progress we're making. Jonnicon is creating place holder graphics so we have something graphically to work with. David is experimenting with a dedicated SOTE Engine for future iterations of the game, and has made some pretty impressive strides. Community involvement in the development streams has been very helpful in making progress as well, as I'm still a newbie when it comes to Object Oriented Programming Languages and Unity (shout out to Calandiel and Gutza).

Current SOTE V0.25 objectives, achievements, and todo list. The 0.25 build will purely involve simulation rather than gameplay features:

What we have so far:
---Some art assets in the form of tiles.
---Prototype pop growth, wilderness expansion, and migration scripts
---A procedurally generated map grid with tiles as game objects, capable of storing pertinent pop data and communicating data with each other.
---Procedural generation scripts which add elevation seeds.

What we need:
---More refined art assets for tiles and other game objects (units, "super province art," etc)
---Resolution and granularity with procedurally generated maps. Need to generate elevation for mountains and hills, river routes based on geology, moisture levels to determine base terrain type (swamp, grassland, dry plain, desert).
---dynamic province generation scrips for civilizations but also for ecotones
---more complex population models that link together into geopolitical units
---the ability of geopolitical units or wilderness ecotones to raise "units" to raid or defend.

David Buunk

Re: SOTE Development Diary and Updates

Post by David Buunk » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:00 pm

Thank you, Demian, for this post. I do have a few comments and questions on the to-do list.
Demiansky wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:15 pm
More refined art assets for tiles and other game objects (units, "super province art," etc)
I think we should wait with unit art until we have figured out the model for dealing with armies and combat. It might very well be that we don't even need unit art.
Demiansky wrote:
Resolution and granularity with procedurally generated maps. Need to generate elevation for mountains and hills, river routes based on geology, moisture levels to determine base terrain type (swamp, grassland, dry plain, desert).
In order to properly determine river routes and moisture levels, we will need a climate model, to what extend to you plan on making that early on?
Demiansky wrote:
---more complex population models that link together into geopolitical units
I think that political units and politics in general shouldn't be made until later. I would think that something like economics and trade will have to come first.
Programming SotE.

Demiansky

Post by Demiansky » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:10 pm

On the subject of "units," if barbarian tribe A decides to raid civilized place B, we need some kind of art asset for the army of the barbarian tribe as it marches over to civilized place B. Or if Civilized area A gets overpopulated and decides to pack up and head out to that new land over yonder, we need some kind of "unit" graphic to represent the settlers as they pick up and head out.

As far as river routes, the easy way to go is with glacial melt rivers, which would just mean we have the river run down from large mountains until they reach the sea.

And on the topic of political units, I mean it to say that ecotones and civilization tiles need to aggragate into "provinces."

Demiansky

Post by Demiansky » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:01 pm

Okay, so over the past week I've been working on procedural map generation for SotE, mainly as it pertains to elevation. I'm still dealing with the learning curve obviously, but so far we've managed to create a tile grid along with a number of pertinent variables. The one I've spent a lot of time on recently is elevation, so that we can determine where mountains, oceans, hills, etc are located. You can see in the screenshot below a part of one of the procedurally generated maps:

I was able to generate this result by dispersing "elevation" seeds around the map, and during procedural generation the seeds move out in every direction on the map, leaving a trail of elevation (the seeds deteriorate in elevation as they move outward). When seeds overlap, their result is added. I've created "stamps" for the elevation seeds which give each seed a different range of parameters. Some seeds generate tall but thin mountains, while others might be short and broad or run along a latitude or longitude.

I've also just started working on rivers, with rivers running down from mountains and following the "path of least resistance," aka, the path with the largest difference in elevation. The result is that you'll see rivers often running between different elevation seeds and generating little "valleys" between mountains.

Once I've got a good bit of data to work with as far as procedural generation of the landscape is concerned, I can get back to the population and wilderness simulation. Determine where there is ample moisture is pretty important, so I've got to sort out rivers first. I also need to play around with some of the new sprites that Jonnicon sent, so that mountains look more realistic and less blocky.